Friday 11 January 2013

Wireless preferrred networks on OSX

I've had a frustrating issue with a MacBook Air running OSX 10.7.5.  Having closed the lid and travelled from work to home I' d open the machine and wait for it to find the wireless network.  All to no avail - a dialogue box pops up saying "None of your preferred networks could be found" and presenting me with a list of detected networks including my home, preferred network.

Browsing through the airport documentation I eventually found the solution:

airport prefs JoinMode=Preferred JoinModeFallback=KeepLooking

Now, rather than prompting, the laptop just keeps searching for one of my preferred networks.  I'd apparently been on the threshold of some timeout: the laptop now picks up my home network with no problem.  


No comments:

Post a Comment